Friday, January 19, 2007

Whining and tidings of great joy.

Hunt me down like a rabid dog and put me out of my misery. 'Cause I've got the baby's germs and wanna roll up and die anyway.

That's enough whining, but this is one of those AWFUL colds that makes your throat itch. I'm about to get the bottle brush and stick it down my own throat and scrub it around. That might work. (Sinus infections, no biggie. Pneumonia? Who cares. Sore throat and it's whine whine whine.)


Anyway. We - sort of - have major, just-breaking fiberish news at House O' Samurai.

Well, first a whole lot of back story.

Every year the husbeast and I both take a chunk of 'mad money' out of the tax return and spend it on anything we want. The rest usually goes to bills or, lately, the baby's college fund, but the mad money remains in effect, if a little reduced from our wild pre-baby days. This year I'd been planning on buying myself a laptop (so I can roam around the house after the baby and remain Hooked In) and hoping I could squeak out enough left over for a spinning wheel.

At some point I must have mentioned this buy-a-laptop plan to my father-in-law, because he called last night to tell us he'd gotten one for me for free. (It's my mother-in-law's old one he'd had overhauled.) The trade he demanded for the laptop was us going to Florida on vacation with them, so the in-laws could spend time with us and the baby. They're so mean. (You begin to see why they get handknit sweaters every Christmas.)

So with no laptop to be purchased out of the mad money, that leaves a great whack of cash to spend on anything ELSE my little heart desires, IN ADDITION to the wheel. Like... like.. a loom. Or a dressmaker's dummy. Or a boat load of fiber. Or... or.. ALL OF IT.

The only drawback now is that I don't know if I've got room in my office for everything. I'm to the point of emptying out the baby's closet and using it (she's got two in her room) or if I totally lose my mind, switching rooms with her.

Hmmmm.

13 comments:

Netter said...

IS it called mad money because the possibilities drive you mad? Nice in laws!

Catie said...

i love the idea of mad money. but most importantly, I'm very proud that you are putting money away for the baby already. I just finished undergrad and am in grad school - education is so expensive. I am so grateful to my parents for helping me stay school debt free.

Amy Lane said...

Wow--I want those in-laws. I have no idea what to do with your windfall--but I look forward to watching you do it!!!

Alwen said...

Dag nab it, just as I'm getting over another cold, I wake up with an itchy throat! No no no, *not* another cold, tell me it's just the one I'm getting over.

When I temped for a pediatrician lo-o-ong ago, he told some of the moms who came in that sugar acts a demulcent, a substance that soothes irritated mucous membranes.

Besides cough drops, you can use any hard candy you like to help soothe your throat. Lemon drops, rootbeer barrels, butterscotch discs, candy canes . . . personally I like the DumDum brand cream soda suckers, because I can take them out of my mouth by the stick before they scratch my upper palate.

Anonymous said...

I'm really a weird one-when i get an itchy throat I eat potato chips. It's the salt that does it I think.
Gargling with saltwater might help also but potato chips are more fun.

Louiz said...

You and me both - Toddler dear has given me the same sore throat. At least I've had yesterday and today at home on my own (almost totally lost my voice) out of it which is almost worth it!

Anonymous said...

try some Coldies
They are little cherry flavored 'hard candy' things with zinc in them (look for them in the cold and flu section of the grocery store or phamacy).
Im pretty sure that itchiness is caused by there being a boatload of virus infecting your throat cells which means you are going to be mega sick if something isnt done soon.

In a double blind study in the 1980's zinc was shown to greatly reduce the effects of the cold virus IF taken within 24 hours of onset of symptoms. But I've noticed it still works but not as well after the 24 hours and will likely clear up the itchy throat at any time.

Check out the article at medicinenet.com produced by the doctors at WebMD to get the full story.

Or just give em a try the cherry flavor is good.

Anonymous said...

try some Coldies
They are little cherry flavored 'hard candy' things with zinc in them (look for them in the cold and flu section of the grocery store or phamacy).
Im pretty sure that itchiness is caused by there being a boatload of virus infecting your throat cells which means you are going to be mega sick if something isnt done soon.

In a double blind study in the 1980's zinc was shown to greatly reduce the effects of the cold virus IF taken within 24 hours of onset of symptoms. But I've noticed it still works but not as well after the 24 hours and will likely clear up the itchy throat at any time.

Check out the article at medicinenet.com produced by the doctors at WebMD to get the full story.

Or just give em a try the cherry flavor is good.

Anonymous said...

Oh you lucky dog! You need yourself one of these:http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp03900-1325.html. You can get them at great prices on Ebay - go for it - you deserve it! And for the itchy throat, spray some Cepacol stuff down it - numbs it right up - cause I am sure with the baby up you don't my favorite remedy of equal parts lemon juice, honey, and Southern Comfort heated together in the microwave - when you are done with that you sleep right through the itchy throat and anything else that bug brings with it. Feel better.

Sheepish Annie said...

Oh how cool! I love it when extra cash just pops up in the account. And a vacation, as well? Keep knitting those sweaters!!! These in-laws are keepers!

Anonymous said...

Wow - I wish I had in-laws even half as nice as yours. My FIL makes me cringe.

-Jennifer

Bells said...

I've got first dibs on Julie's in-laws if they're looking to adopt any time soon. I like the sound of them a lot. My FIL is a darling, but my MIL is just weird.

Catie said...

I like my in laws in smallish doses but I definately like them. I find them a bit touchy so I have to watch what I say. I guess this is normal, but with my parents I just let it all loose. There is very little that I won't talk to my mom about. I vote for the cepacol or similar product in the pharmacy area of a supermarket/pharmacy in general.