Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snickerdoodles.

Snickerdoodles are a chewy sugar cookie, jazzed up with a dash of cinnamon. I've tweaked the recipe for the holidays. (Of course.) They appear to be native to Amish areas, where I grew up, and it wasn't until I moved away in my twenties that I realized not EVERYONE ate snickerdoodles. As a teen I had two of these every day for lunch, all through high school. (Along with an ice cream bar. How I weighed 115 pounds will remain a mystery for the ages. I think it had to do with never sitting still.)


SNICKERDOODLES:
-1 cup butter
-1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
-2 eggs
-2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
-1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
-1/2 teaspoon salt (if you use unsalted butter, double this)
-1 teaspoon baking soda

Coating:
-2 teaspoons cinnamon
-2 tablespoons sugar
OR
-mix 2 teaspoons cinnamon into cookie batter, and roll in
-colored sugar


Usual drill for assembly: Cream together butter and sugar, add eggs, mix in dry ingredients. Chill dough, roll into balls, roll in sugar/cinnamon, and bake at 350F for about eleven minutes.

As done at my house, with photos:

Pour colored sugar into a dinner plate and set up an assembly line; cookie dough, sugar, baking sheet.


Skip the part where you chill the dough and scoop it straight from the mixing bowl into the plate of sugar.


Roll the blups of dough around in the sugar and place on silicon paper on a cookie sheet.


Beware marauding Goobers.


Bake as the recipe says, and enjoy. Now make some green ones.

Try to pull them out of the oven when the edges JUST start to turn golden brown. That gives you crunch on the outside and chew inside, which is optimal cookie condition in my world.


Yum. These are always a favorite, even among people who've never had them before.

9 comments:

amy said...

I know snickerdoodles too, although we're nowhere near Amish country. I like them; not so much the rolling around the dough though. I have to be in a mood to get messy! I hadn't thought of making Christmas ones with colored sugar, probably because I've always rolled in cinnamon/sugar mixed. They look so festive!

Anonymous said...

yumm, i might have to go to the grocery for supplies now.

Pam

Anonymous said...

opps forgot, too bad she won't sing on command. maybe next time.

Pam

Alwen said...

I think my mom got them out of Betty Crocker! Anyway, that's where I learned them from, my 1958 or 1960 copy.

Bells said...

this makes me realise how long I've been reading your blog. Two years ago this was a freaking revelation to me!

Love the Goober hovering.

Arianne said...

I'm from Seattle (and so is my mum, Snickerdoodle queen) and I had Snickerdoodles growing up and there are NO Amish around. Though my dad IS from Ohio.

Your recipe looks delicious. I wonder if the family would accept Snickerdoodles instead of the knitting I promised.

(I am SO woefully inadequate in the craftalong department...you don't want to know how much I dropped the ball! If I can't knit on the plane nobody's getting anything!)

Donna Lee said...

I didn't realize how regionalized snickerdoodles were until I went to college in north jersey and no one had heard of them. There is a large amish population in nearby Lancaster and I have a few cookie books from there. Snickerdoodles and whoopie pies. Two of our favorites.

Amy Lane said...

EEEEEE... Chicken is SO excited to try a snickerdoodle recipe... (she made these with her grandma...she gets to make them now at home, because you posted this and we can't resist!)

Don't marauding Goobers get the best snickerdoodles?

GrillTech said...

Hmmm snickerdoodles. I know how bad those taste and that you certainaly wouldn't want to inflict the flavor on other people. So I'm willing to take one for the team. You can send them to the Tech house and we'll take care of them.