Thursday, December 04, 2008

AAAAAAH!

After two and a half hours of binding off, I have bound off sixteen of the forty-eight wedges in the pattern. Yeah. Maybe I'll finish tomorrow. I'm using the traditional crochet cast-off used on doilies. It's basically slip stitch. Chain seven loops, then 'pick up' three raw stitches from the edge onto the crochet hook, work those three with the next slip stitch, then chain another seven, repeat.

Over and over and over and over and over and over.

It's a good finishing method, allows for a lot of stretch at the edge. And it's faster than a sideways knitted-on edge. But GAAAARH!

I didn't hit the champagne last night. We didn't have any in the house, we're trying to save money, and my liver and the knitting didn't need it. But I really wanted some.



I'll probably be busting out the sweater I need to finish, today. The body is done to the arm pits, and it's being knit on size nines. We'll see how fast I can do it. It's in the round, seamless, so once the knitting's done, it'll pretty much be DONE. Here's hoping I pull it off.



After that, I just need to batik ten yards of fabric. That won't take long at all. Hah.

6 comments:

Josh said...

that's about 9 minutes per wedge... 32 left... around 5 more hours of binding off. whoever you are knitting that for must have saved your life or given you an organ or something. good work.

Amy Lane said...

It's funny--whenever I crochet anything anymore, I go through stages.

STage 1: This is WAY faster than knitting--why don't I do more of this anymore?

Stage 2: Way faster does NOT equal 'instantaneous', and this is driving me crazy.

Stage 3: I crochet like a monkey with an extra bone in it's wrist. My wrist hurts. Now I remember why I knit!

Stage 4: It's done, it's cool--I'll have to crochet something else. In a year.

Leonie said...

Did you at least break out the chocolate or would that be too dangerous near white doily type things? That home straight can be so slllllooooooowwwwwwww sometimes. Good luck with the sweater and the dyeing.

Alwen said...

After eleventy miles of casting off, size 9s are going to feel like telephone poles!

Galad said...

I am in awe. I know I would not have the patience for hours of binding off!

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to see the shawl all dyed and blocked! But, why blue? Isn't white nice, and less work?