Saturday, January 06, 2007

For Bells.

And anyone else trying to learn stranded color. Here's how I carry the yarn:

Ignore the damned cat cluttering up the photo.

As you can see, I run the yarns between my fingers. I use whichever one I need at the time (with thumb and index finger) and simply drop the other one, running it along the back when not in use. By keeping the yarns in the same order (always dark on top, regardless of project, just because it's easy to remember that way), I avoid twisting them and keep the knitting uniform. There's even room for a third color between ring and pinkie fingers, but after that it gets tricky.

I suspect that even if you knit some way other than Continental, you could use a variation of this method. Using one yarn in each hand seems kind of nuts to me.

But ultimately, if it doesn't unravel, you're doing it right. Whatever works.

2 comments:

Bells said...

Oh helpful. Ta Julie. Much appreciated. I think I should try and figure it out before I launch back into the jacket. Sekhmet is cute. Gotta be in on everything!

Denise said...

Great photo, and clever way of handling the different colours - I presume the cat loves to "help out"?