Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Well, that's done.


It's more diamond shaped than oval, but damn if I'm blocking it again.

The pattern is "Oval Doily, picture number four" on page 18, found in "Patterns for the Art of Lace Knitting, the complete works of Rachel Schnelling" compiled by Gloria Penning. The patterns can be purchased here; the book may hold a record for the most doily patterns crammed into the smallest space possible, but all the patters are chart only. The charts are also rather obnoxious because they were noted down in text characters instead of stitch symbols -- I for yarnover, T for knit two together, K for a knit stitch, etc. Still, if you're looking for a bargain in lace patterns, this book is it.

I knit the doily with size two (three millimeter? I think?) needles and number ten crochet cotton, then washed it and wet-starched it before blocking. The crochet hook I used for the edging was a size B - the only one I could find in the house remotely small enough.


The baby has definitely entered into the terrible two stage (four months early!); instead of being a good kid who listens to me, she's now ignoring me in favor of getting into things. Things like scissors, needles, and sharp pointy sticks. Her other favorite thing is to get my glasses and try to straighten out the ear pieces. My throat is sore from yelling at her today, and she barely blinked at me. (Yes. I get that I need to try something else, because the yelling isn't working. I'm working on it. But the yelling is darn handy for blowing off frustration, since it apparently doesn't bother her a bit.)

Nothing but good times ahead.

Anyone want to go grocery shopping for me? I'll give you yarn.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

If I was within 500 miles of you I would totally hook you up. I'm out of milk myself...

Bells said...

beautifil doily! Looking forward to seeing it unpinned and pretty. Can we have a close up of the stitch pattern?

Is the baby still cute though?

Sheepish Annie said...

Wow! That is just beautiful!!

I'd offer to shop for you, but you know how grocery store trips usually work out for me. It'd be better if you found a place that delivers. Do they still do that anymore?

Anonymous said...

The doily is gorgeous! And I'll swap you the baby for my 14 year old. ;)

Alwen said...

:) Would you like my copy of Sears and Sears The Discipline Book?

(I don't think The Baby really needs Parenting the Fussy Baby and High-Need Child . . .)

My verification word is "owmaawk"!

Mia said...

OMG.. that is GORGEOUS!!

and sometimes I gotta say I kinda like havin my "empty nest" *grin*

NeedleTart said...

OK, now try 30 like the baby. Sorry, those are the kids that give me laryngitis (probably from a nifty little virus they save just for me).
Beautiful knitting. Someday I'll try that fine cotton again.

MrsFife said...

Ok, now that's done, could you please do us a tutorial on blocking odd-shaped things? I had to block a so-called oval last night myself.

catnurse said...

Gorgeous doily! I'd totally trade getting your groceries for yarn if I were within 1000 miles.
Bribery worked for me with my daughter, and she's turning out fine. (how many 6 year olds use "Yes Ma'am on a regular basis?)
As long as they're still cute, right?

roxie said...

I think Safeway delivers - for a price, but it may be worth it.

The doily totally rocks!

Terby said...

No way will I shop for you. Hee hee. Pretty doily.

Laural said...

Love the doily!

T is the same way. I usually don't even bother yelling anymore even to just let it out. Now if DH yells at T it is completely different, he listens and sometimes there are fake tears and everything.

I think we are supposed to be flattered that we are so non-threatening to them.

Amy Lane said...

Her own little plastic box with pretend mama's glasses, an old cell phone, plastic playdough scissors and basic kid versions of all the mama shit she likes to go through... works for us!