Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I have a bad feeling.

In fact, I've got several bad feelings, but the primary source of worry at the moment is the Mystery Knit. If you recall, there was some worry about whether or not I would have enough yarn.

It's looking like not.

Long story short, there's a Last Bit that needs to be knit that's got a lot to do with the styling and use of the thing. And I was hoping to have a full skein of yarn to knit the Last Bit with. I'm still a few (five?) inches away from the shoulders, on the body, and just joined in the last ball of yarn I have. No more yarn left. I can, of course, use another, different yarn for the Last Bit, and fully intend to if I run out. (Because this is something I want to wear, matter of fact.) But it will look like shit.

No Knitty submission if I run out of yarn. (But I will offer the pattern, in several sizes, here, if that happens.)

Anybody got an idea for a Knitty article? It would be for the fall issue. (I was thinking of suggestions on how to make knitting warm. Because super-bulky knitting isn't really that warm by itself, due to the honkin' big holes between the stitches.)

We'll know in the next day or two, just how bad the yarn issue is. And I'm sure you'll hear about it when I know. In great detail. Ad nauseum.


Otherwise the bad feelings here revolve around PMS, a migrane, more drug problems, more allergies, the usual bullshit. It's getting so I feel ridiculous even mentioning it. I'm hoping my next problem involves piles of free yarn. Or, I don't know, a cruise to Alaska. Free yarn is a problem, right? Maybe?

12 comments:

Bells said...

Oh. that's gonna suck.

On top of the health stuff, too.

Dana said...

gack! hate hate hate when that happens. the free yarn, that is.

Amy Lane said...

I still have free crochet cotton... it's getting to be a problem... (I know what you mean... health problems...ick...they're all you can think about but you want to talk about anything else...)

Louiz said...

Free yarn - I have crochet cotton free to a good home! And an article, how about making hats that fit (I hate hats - glasses arm piece forms a hole that the wind just rushes up and freezes my ears worse than wearing nothing!) 's the only thing I can think of on a Thursday morning.

Terby said...

I can't remember what you're using for the yarn - it might be worth heading to the LYS to see if they have it... You could call and ask, and as long as you go today and not tomorrow (when the tourists will descend in force) it might not be a terrible trip. The store is pretty good, even if parking is a nightmare.

Anonymous said...

I would absolutely read every word of an article about how to make knits their warmest! Without, like you said, working at two stitches to the inch. I like warm knits wherein I can still move my arms...

Saren Johnson said...

Oh no! I'm sending you positive thoughts. No running out of yarn!!

How about a crash course on "designing". Others seem to have hard time with that.

roxie said...

If you really do run out, and you really need to use some other yarn, it does NOT have to look like shit. You can turn it into a design element that lifts the work into the class of art, rather than craft. I can offer fourty-some years of knitting experience if you want to discuss options privately. flyingfish3@comcast.net.

Laural said...

I will make a wish upon a star tonight that you will NOT run out of yarn.

Nina said...

Oh, me too, PVs that you don't run out of yarn. I do agree with Roxie that you don't have to give up on it being a stunning piece of knitwork. Although, I certainly am not skilled enough to help.

As to an alternate article--how to make knitting warm is a good one. Would you cover yarn content?

Sheepish Annie said...

I'll be thinking "plentiful yarn" thoughts for you! And I hope you feel better soon. Nothing worse than running out of yarn when you don't feel well enough to deal with getting more.

On that note, how about an article on "comfort knitting?" Those familiar patterns that we go to when we're sick or upset or whatever. Now that I'm down with pneumonia, I'm all about the comfort knitting. Basic socks and simple scarves. Probably not the stuff of great Knitty articles, though...

Anonymous said...

Julie,
Why not do a design in mosaic knitting for the fall Knitty? Slip stitch is warm and the patterns are fun.