Monday, September 17, 2007

Good thing I have a hobby.


Not knitting; modular origami.

We had a power outage today, and the Goober and I got a little stir-crazy sitting in the dark. (I didn't want to take her outside because my hand and shoulder are still killing me from taking her out yesterday.) When the in-laws had come down for the Goober's birthday, they had brought a pile of toys, including some giant building blocks to fold up, out of corrugated cardboard. We decided to leave those until a rainy day and not put them together; she had enough toys at the moment.

Today was the rainy day, figuratively speaking. I got the blocks out of the garage and went to put them together. On the right in the photo is what they looked like unfolded. On the left is one folded up. They did include directions, but I don't know how they'd make sense to anyone not used to origami books.

Here's another shot of a brick, for size:

There are three sizes of bricks; that's the smallest. At the moment I've only got about half of them put together. It entertained us both while I had visions of the power staying out past midnight and being unable to finish my Knitty article.


Way back when the Goober was very little (so little I'm surprised she remembers this), the rule in the house was, "If you cry, a bear eats your face." If she fussed, I would get a stuffed bear and make growling noises and rub it (gently) against the Goober's face. She would always wind up laughing. So today, while I was scowling over the power outage and my Knitty article, the Goober whent and got THE SAME STUFFED BEAR (out of a pile of about thirty stuffed animals), and whacked me in the face with it.

I better go finish the article before a bear eats my face. Again.

6 comments:

deirdre said...

Amazing memories, those little people - I wish it stayed that way...

Amy Lane said...

Laughing out loud!!! My goober kept us up all last night... I don't know what the penalty is for that, but I think a bear eating her face would be good...

Bells said...

oh they look fun! And the face eating sounds positively terrifying!

Catie said...

soooo cute!

Terby said...

Melissa and Doug toys are awesome.

Sarah O G said...

the bear thing made me laugh out loud, thanks for that.