Saturday, October 28, 2006

Why the mohair?

Bells asked in the comments, and I imagine everyone else is wondering, the way I bitch about this yarn. Here's why: I'm a moron.

Disregarding everything I've ever learned, all the advice ever given me, and even the advice I've GIVEN OUT, I bought four balls of the damn stuff without ever having knit with it. And at $11 a ball, I'm now pretty much committed to knitting scarves with it (around here $44 is a lot to toss away, or rather, toss in the pit of the Yarn Closet). And then to prove I was stupid, I bought another ball about a month ago for another scarf. Add in, I'm not doing gauge swatches for these, either, so I have no idea how the stitch pattern will look until I knit a couple pattern repeats of the scarf itself. (Pick a lace pattern, do enough repeats to land you somewhere between fifty and sixty stitches wide, and knit. It'll come out the right width. One cool thing about scarf 'fitting'.)

These scarves pretty much break every rule I set myself when I knit, so I deserve to hate them and suffer through them. Unfortuately for youse guys, you've gotta listen to me.



The husbeast is giggling over something he found on the internet today:


I'm letting him get away with it because he does 90% of the laundry around here. (He refuses to touch hand-knits, and doesn't like doing baby clothes, so I do those.)



Otherwise it's a typical Saturday at home; the husbeast alternates between watching TV, cruising the 'net, and working on the vehicles. I play Civilization or read or knit. The baby mainly torments the cat and chews on window sills. Sometimes we both get bored, and I play streaming video of kid's songs, and she sits in my office chair and watches.

5 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Oh. I thought you were bitching to make me feel better about all the stupid stuff I do with the knitting. Seriously...you're "mistakes" look waaaay better than mine!

I'm also knitting a mohair scarf right now. And am moderately suicidal...

Bells said...

Well I'm knitting a mohair cardigan. It's got lovely eyelets all over it to stop me getting entirely bored with endless stockinette stitch. I'm loving working on it but then I think it's a *nice* mohair. I got some fabulous NZ kid mohair at a craft fair a month or two ago. Well, fabulous it's not. I got three rows in and thought, well, there goes $50 down the drain. It really depends on the mohair, I think.

Also, you knit AND read with a 12 month old baby? And you do fancy stuff like lace knitting?? My god you are my hero.

KnittyLynn said...

I've heard if you toss mohair into the freezer for a few minutes, it makes it easier to deal with.

Granted this is just a knit bit from Knitty Gritty I'm sharing, having never knit with mohair either. ;)

Good luck!

April said...

Baby picture! Yay!

Mohair! Not so yay ...

Amy Lane said...

the baby is damned cute, and count your lucky stars she's still a baby...Mate and I spent the day watching our daughter's soccer team getting it's collective ass kicked, and kicking ourselves because we forgot the take the toddler to gym...