Wednesday, October 04, 2006

All rightie then.

It's all turned in. No more state fair shit until next year, and then we are NOT DOING THE DEADLINE AGAIN. We'll take a vote on what to enter from the year's completed knitting, or pull something out of a hat, or not enter at all, but NEVER AGAIN will I be knitting something just for the fair. That was insanely stupid. If I come out with the idea, everyone please flame me in e-mail and comments until I come to my senses and realize I HAVE LOST MY MIND. AGAIN.

I finished the hem on the Blue Shimmer last night at 11:30. I finished blocking it and fell into bed at midnight. I finished darning in the ends at about nine this morning. I then threw it in the Jeep with the baby and drove to Columbia and turned it in. (Since the accident, I've been rather a cautious driver, but lately my Inner Bitch has re-asserted herself. I found myself ripping across I-26 at about 80 mph/130 kph, tailgating someone and thinking "You know, this is how thirty car pileups happen... get out of my way, JERK.") I forgot to wear my Road Warrior splint on my hand (it looks like it belongs on Mad Max and I wear it when I drive... what am I supposed to call it?) and now feel like there are tiny hedgehogs made of broken glass, roaming around inside my wrist in herds, mating and having cocktail parties and the occasional turf war. (Have I ever mentioned, my lawyer used to love my descriptions of how I felt, and I suspect looked forward to me coming out with stuff like that in court?)

Anyway. The Blue Shimmer's finishing puts it down to Average Level, in my opinion. (As opposed to Stupendous Level, like the doily.) But it's done and I don't care. When I turned in the pieces, everyone was polite and like "Good luck, and pick them back up on the 23rd." (though the one lady did ask where to get the pattern for the Blue Shimmer 'cause she wanted one. I did not tell her it was Satan's Sweater) but I ducked around the corner to use the restroom and when I came out, someone was putting the doily in a display case and saying "WHAT was this knit with??!!??" I don't know if she meant the needles or the thread. Ahahahaha.

I'm drugged and rambling. Is it too obvious?

The worst thing of all is, last night I tried on the Blue Shimmer (it's too short for me - should fit my mother-in-law) and it was soft and warm and light and I thought 'gee, this is awfully nice...' and then I washed it, and the yarn became soft as a cloud, softer than some cashmere I've felt. (Really. It's 100% merino.) Now I want a sweater of my own knit out of this yarn, which probably means a Fair-Isle in all-over color knit on size twos. Someone drive over me with their car repeatedly until I come to my senses.

Anyway. It's done, and I'm done. No more knitting until... uh, at least Friday. Okay, maybe tomorrow, depending on how my hand feels. Three scarves to go.

8 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Yeah...probably not a good idea to label the garment as "Satan's Sweater" until after the judging. Nice job getting it all done. I'll make a mental note to watch for the deadline knitting in the future and "remind" you if needed!

Anonymous said...

Julie ROCKS!
You are my hero.

Rae said...

Hurts to give things away that are so nice. I regret many a gifts, even though I gave them to recipients I love. Hurts. hurts.

Amy Lane said...

Whoopty-12 needles...it's the only way I can continue my love affair with socks...(that and this bizarre Karabella yarn that's got satin ribbon wound through it...positively hypnotic...) But I"m so proud I sort of know someone with your intense levels of skillful insanity...I showed your blog to students today--you're damn near famous...

Bells said...

Seriously, I am going to raise a glass to you tonight Julie. Well done!!! You realise the hedgehogs are having cocktails in honour of your hard work, right?

Oh and you go right ahead and knit one for yourself. No deadline remember? You know what mistakes to avoid, you know the length it needs to be, and you can do it for pleasure!

I reckon you should make a baby sized one for The Baby, too!

kris said...

Bravo, Julie!!!! You did good, sweets.

TrishJ said...

Huzzah, you finished!! YAY, you!

I think you should do at least 3 deadline things for the fair next year. I don't think you were nearly enough stressed (not).

Bells said...

hey why isn't there a photo of the bloody blue shimmer????