Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Home again, home again.

Turns out those bug bites weren't bug bites. It's shingles. And my doctor's earliest available appointment is July 17. This pretty well sums up how my week has gone, so I'll spare you all the rant, since you've probably got a good idea how I feel about it, anyway.

The obligatory sunset photo:


This was taken off the balcony of the place we stayed, by the husbeast. He always takes better photos than I do. He has the patience to, like, let the camera focus and stuff.

I've been thinking about it, and I've never been to Florida in the summer before, only fall and winter. This time of year, above the high tide lines on the beaches, there are sea turtle nests. And in case you might miss them, someone (whose job is this??) goes along and puts up caution tape and a sign saying that if you harm a turtle, sixty tree huggers will be on you like white on rice and rip out your liver. Or something like that. But it was cool, big piles of sand containing little baby turtles. I'd love to watch one hatch some day.

And that's about it for 'exotic' on that trip. The baby spazzed on the beach (no idea why), so we spent most of our time in the baby pool of the condo. Whee. Oh, and sunburn on top of shingles? Fun. Really fun.

I'm almost done with the second swirl afghan square (just that last, hated bit of grafting to go), am ignoring the tomten jacket determinedly, and on the drive home knit...

A SOCK!

It's a wonky sock, but I'm getting the idea of how they work. And I feel ripped off. I turned the heel, waiting for some great mystical experience, and was left sitting on the couch going "that's it? Where's the hard part?" Socks are like doilies with no eyelets, that don't lay flat when they're done. I can do this.

And I'm about 90% sure I'm doing the Blue Shimmer. The sun baked my bains. (Plus I took measurements of the person I'd be giving it to, and I over-estimated how big it needs to be by about six inches, so the idea is a little less daunting.)

Photos of socks and such tomorrow. Maybe. If I'm still sane then. (Am I sane now?)

1 comment:

Sheepish Annie said...

Shingles???!!! I can't even come up with a witty comment here. I hope that you are able to get past it without too much "involvement." It's my understanding that they can be quite uncomfortable. Stay well!