Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ah, irony.

I love it so. No. Really.




Your result for The Find Your Philosophical Era! Test...

The Post-Modern

19% Ancient, 6% Medieval, 31% Modern and 44% Post-Modern!


Congratulations! You are: a Post-Modern!


Congratulations! Unlike everyone else, you Post-Moderns were born in the right era. You can even influence the further development of Post-Modernism! Post-Moderns like you are bowed down by the weight of all the writers and thinkers who have existed before them; but, rather than respecting the authority of the past, as a Medieval thinker might do, a Post-Modern thinker is more likely to reject or reinterpret everything which came before him. While the Moderns ridiculed religion, Post-Moderns ridicule religion and atheism alike. The parody is the classic Post-Modern art form.


Post-Modern thinkers tend to cast every commonly received notion into doubt. The naive, common-sense interpretation of things is shocked when Post-Modernism declares, for instance, that perfect translation is theoretically impossible, or that the connection between a word and its meaning is merely illusory. The distinction between meaning and meaninglessness is blurred--see the poetry of e.e. cummings or the works of Joyce for an example of the Post-Modern disregard for the orthodox English sentence.


Moreover, Post-Moderns like Freud and Nietzsche, with their psychological insight, cast into doubt the freedom of the human will, and helped to blur the lines previous eras might have drawn between a good person and a bad one, between a madman and a sane one.


Some post-modern philosophers: Wittgenstein, Nietzsche, Derrida, Foucault, Freud, Benjamin, Hegel, Kierkegaard


Some post-modern artists: Joyce, Henry James, Proust, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Faulkner, Woolf, Samuel Beckett


Typical post-modern art forms: the non-traditional novel, black comedy, jazz, film, photography, the music video, the psychological case study, the parody


Take The Find Your Philosophical Era! Test
at HelloQuizzy





What's really funny is, I think post-modernist philosophers should be dragged into the street and beaten to death with coffee-table editions of their own books. Or, you know, left to die of tertiary syphilis, if that's appropriate. Fuckin' Neitzsche. Guy should have been put down like a rabid dog.

10 comments:

TinkingBell said...

And so should that bastard Foucalt - and several other PoMos I can think of (or PooMoos as I call them them!)

Complete and utter sick dickheads - and they made a rich living out of that 'philosophical'crud. Give me Bishop Berkeley and the idealists any day!

TinkingBell said...

Oh - and just took the test - I'm a modern! (Yay!) 13% ancient, 31% Mediaeval, 44% modern and 13%PoMo

I'd prefer to be plyaing skittles with Newton than Nietszche!

Amy Lane said...

I'm a modernist!!! Huzzah! I feel the same way about Post-Modernists as you do--except worse. I took one lousy stinking class and hated everybody in it AND the professor for making me sit through that shit.

Anonymous said...

another modern here

The Modern
31% Ancient, 13% Medieval, 44% Modern and 13% Post-Modern!

equally medieval and post-modern -- 13% for each, with ancient and modern not that far apart. is that as strange as i think it is? (then again, some of the questions were a bit off-putting. i'm into reading books, not burning them.)

i notice that tinkingbell's numbers are the same as mine, but in different categories. hers form a bell curve from antiquity to today.

Some modern artists: Da Vinci, Molière, Shakespeare, Bernard Shaw, Mozart, Cervantes, Swift -- outstanding company, i'd say.

Typical modern art forms: opera, comic plays, portraiture, the concerto, the confessional memoir, descriptions of nature

Alwen said...

Another Post-Modern here:

13% Ancient, 19% Medieval, 31% Modern and 38% Post-Modern!

But never mind that! Go here, look at these:

http://glovecollectioncatalogue.org/

Click on the Spence Collection from
23390-23417, 23418-23447, and 23448-23463 for lots of early (1600's) knit gloves, not all liturgical.

Caffeine Faerie said...

I completely agree. Post-modern is a dirty word in my vocab.

And mwaha! I'm an Ancient. That bodes well for the world...

Anonymous said...

i'm an ancient!!
38% Ancient, 0% medieval, 31% each of Modern and PoMo

so i guess i'm fairly well balanced with a slight elitist bent.(and no use for any medieval bullshit)

Hey - I'll take Aristotle over Foucault any day.

michellenyc

Terby said...

I'm surprised I ended up a Modern. Considering my current mood, I was expecting Po-Mo. I love the postmodern literature, but then again, I like the absurd.

Anonymous said...

I scored ancient, but the book burning question made me twitch.

38% Ancient, 25% Medieval, 19% Modern and 19% Post-Modern

The description of ancient didn't really sit with me very well either.

Liz said...

19% Ancient, 31% Medieval, 44% Modern and 6% Post-Modern here. Thankfully. I had to read so much post-modern rubbish in college... I'd add Nathalie Sarraute and Alain Robbe-Grillet to the "first against the wall when the revolution comes" list...