Thursday, October 04, 2007

Strikking along.

Still feeling rotten, so here's another blah, short post. I've been knitting as much as possible, but thanks to the shoulder problem, it's not as much as I'd like. Still, I'm getting stuff done, and enjoying it. For now, that's enough.

There was a question about the chart you can see in my last photo, the one with the cat. No, I did not make it on the computer. I copied it out of the book ("Meg Swansen's Knitting"), and then colored it in with a colored pencil so that it would be really easy to read while wrestling cats, goobers, and dropping everything to run to the bathroom (you so don't want to know). As usual, the copyright laws on this stuff is iffy, so I go with "If I wrote the book, would I mind?" and the answer is no. I paid for the book fair and square, and am using this copy (in fact, the copy is laying ON the book) to avoid trashing the binding of the book or dirtying up the pages. When I'm done, I'll throw the copy away, not sell it for profit. So... I don't see anything wrong with it, and I don't think any knitwear designer with a brain would mind that kind of thing.

When I was adding Strikke-alongers to the sidebar, I missed a link. I've added it, and everyone stop by and say hello to Josie.

Strikke strikke strikke!

8 comments:

Netter said...

Anyone who has purchased a copy of a book or magazine is allowed to make copies of the material therein for personal use. This situation definitely qualifies. Now, if you were distributing said photocopies, we'd have to report you to the publisher.

Amy Lane said...

OH gees...I just realized...if people are going to be looking at my blog for the strikke-along, I'll need to publish some pictures...unfortunately I've got, like, an inch of corrugated ribbing done, and that's the end.

Boring boring boring boring...

I'll put it over a calendar picture of Viggo Mortensen... ahhh...even the mental image is better.

Donna Lee said...

If we didn't copy the chart out of the magazine and make it bigger, this whole thing would take way longer. Those charts are so small. I put it on a piece of cardboard and put a large rubber band around it to keep my place and mark my row. So far, it's working really well.

Em said...

I was going to make (more) irritate comments about my inability to cast on a pair of socks, but then I realized that'd be silly, when I could say something productive, instead.

So yay, you! Way to knit, even if you're having a bastard of a time with it. The first couple inches of sweater look pretty cool, I'm excited to watch your progress.

Laural said...

Working copies are totally legit.

Unknown said...

I ALWAYS make copies of the patterns I am using, for a variety of reasons . . . usually because somewhere along the way, I'll lose it. But I also write all over the copies, color in and highlight it. If any of my notes are worth keeping, I transfer them to the original pattern anyway.

Josie said...

Thanks for linking me! I think I'm one of the few people not doing stranded colour-work, but I still made photo-copies of my big, honkin cable charts. That way I can carry around one little piece of paper, which, if my little guy tears up, is no big deal, unlike if he tore a page out of the book...(shudder)

roxie said...

I am so amazed that you colored that whole thing in by hand and there are no blobs of white out or places where the paper was erased into holes! I bow again to your superior skills!