Sunday, October 14, 2007

STATE FAIR!

Today was the day. Even though I hadn't entered anything this year, we went anyway. Partly so the Goober could see all the critters, and partly so I could revel in my farm-country roots. (My father was a factory worker, but we lived in farm country and I grew up running around with my friends on their family horse farms, dairy farms, and helping school chums raise sheep and pigs for the county and state fair competitions. (In the case of the pigs, I also helped eat them later, teaching me the lesson to never name your food, or play with it.) The county fair where I grew up (Stark County, Ohio), is about the same size as state fair here.

So, anyway, off we went to Columbia, the state capital of South Carolina, where the fair is held. "We're going to see piggies and chickens and bunnies and cows!" I told the Goober, to which she replied "Moo!" The cows kind of freaked her out, I think because they were so big. After all, she's used to looking at them in books. She got to pet a bunny, and that was okay too, but the BIG excitement came when we hit the pig barn. I think they look the most like the pictures in the books she looks at. So she and the pig had a great conversation, oinking at each other (make sure to turn it up, so you can hear the oinking):


After tours of the animal barns, we decided to go look at the knitting. As the Husbeast said, "This ought to be good." Remember last year, how the Blue Shimmer didn't place at all? This year's FIRST PLACE in the women's sweater division was a Fair Isle vest (like, with no sleeves):

It's knit at about five stitches to the inch, a little puckered, and the ribbed edges looked like the bindoffs were too tight. Just saying.

More poking around, and we found the other first-place winners, including the winner of the lace division:

It was folded, but appeared to be baby blanket/christening shawl sized. The parts I could see were stitch perfect, and the whole thing was at about nine stitches to the inch, with lace weight yarn, on maybe size one needles. With the all-important knit-on edge. Beautiful work.

We started poking around again, looking for the "Best in Show" winner, the person whose work was considered the best of all the knitting entries, in all divisions. Finally, I found it; I'd walked past it twice. Brace yourselves.

A knit purse. With fun fur. The Husbeast said, in his carrying Husbeast Voice, "I'm no expert, but that's fucked up."

Interestingly, all of the first place winners this year were from Columbia, except the lady who knit the lace (and should have won the Best in Show). It makes me really, really glad I didn't enter this year. If you're the one who knit that lace, all my sympathies.



The Goober is really tired now.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. That's absolutely shocking. I can't believe that actually happened...

I feel really awful for whoever knit that lace. Hopefully, they have a sense of humor about it (in a few years, perhaps).

Liz said...

OK - the lace lady should probably kill someone...

And I'm with the Husbeast on the purse... WTF?

I'm glad it's not just me. I entered a Crochet Thing in our village show (because I was bullied; really can't crochet) and it won first, and I gather there was this really nice fine traddy crochet doily there too, but they liked the variegated yarn I crocheted my Thing in. Ummm... No. I didn't get to the show though, so maybe it wasn't that lovely; but I suspect from previous years that the judge still doesn't know what s/he's doing... I'm hoping I haven't made an Enemy...

Sheepish Annie said...

The Goober oinking at the piggies is the cutest thing ever! She was so excited!!!

The lace piece was really wonderful! I can't really comment on other's knitting since I'm no great stitcher myself and all. But one has to wonder if everyone really understands how freaking hard lace knitting is!!! Or how freaking long it takes!!!! (me 'n the lace are having some relationship issues right now...)

Crazy Colorado Knitter said...

ugh, that's awful. The funfur purse should've been a "nice that you entered" kind of thing.

Sigh. Makes me ashamed to be from SC. (Born in Columbia, lived in Irmo, as well as in Union & Landrum... and had an aunt who lived in Beaufort.)

Dana said...

Typical SC. I mean, I like it here for the most part, but dude.... typical.

Donna Lee said...

Is fun fur even a yarn? I mean, what kind of sheep does fun fur come from? I feel sorry for the lace lady because that looks really beautiful. I, too,am in no position to judge another's work but even to me, there is no contest. I love state fairs and cows ARE really big in person!

Bells said...

I think the Husbeast was right! That's outrageous! I'd be seriously pissed off if I was that lace knitter.

Cute Goober!

Hobbygåsa said...

Cute photo of Goober! Is really shows the looong day. Well, I say nothing more than that I wote for the Lace... Have a nice day!

Pearls Mother said...

So the purse was knitted by the head judges daughter/sister/neighbour ------ there is no other logical explanation.
Hey, the goober is cute, smart and tired.

Katie K said...

I love it when your daughter reaches over to point at the pig, one of you subtly pulls her stroller back to avoid contact. Couldn't hear any audio. Rats!

Don't you think the knitter should have won a special award just for the bravery of entering fun fur?

Amy Lane said...

My parents used to raise animals to kill...they would name the pigs things like "Oscar and Meyer" or "Jimmy and Dean" to remind us exactly the purpose for which this animal was intended. The turkeys got named "Thanksgiving and Christmas"--four years running.

The goober is just too cute, talking to that piggy--they really are sweet creatures.

Yeah--that's a WTF moment, all right... at our State Fair this year there were like, five lace blankets, tiny gauge, all knit OR tatted by the same person. Amazing. I forgot what got Best in Show...it could have had something to do with the Cave Troll pulling on my hand going "Come On!!!" because ToyTopia was the next building over...

Brewgal said...

I think these contests are really a crap-shoot. You have to be lucky enough hit the judge's fancy. I also think judges are often reluctant to award a prize to a technique they've never seen or attempted themselves. That said, the lace looked amazing!

debsnm said...

Obviously the same judges as last year - aren't you glad you saved yourself the grief????

Breanna S. said...

You have the cutest Goober every. I enjoy reading your blog. Your writing is full of knowledge and humor. I have a question, do you know anything about spinning wheels? I am just getting started with a drop spindle but would like to upgrade soon.

Anonymous said...

awwwwww, that is the cutest video ever! Your daughter is a sweetie! And she's speaking really clearly, too, for being only just two years old. Her "It's a pig!!" was adorable :)

Laural said...

WTF!?!

Unknown said...

um...wow. As we say around these parts-- Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (for when a plain old WTF just won't suffice). It seems that once again, those fair judges seem to have proven how completely lacking in sense they are.

roxie said...

I wonder if anyone ever goes to the judges with their purple ribbon and says, "Are you nuts? Did you even SEE that lace blanket? There is no way in hell I deserve this! I DEMAND a do-over!!" Wouldn't it be interesting if they did?

Thesnoozy goober is adorable!

Nina said...

Your video of your Goober is very sweet. I love little ones' voices.

For the record, I am very glad you did not enter in the fair! What a waste of energy/intention that would have been. If I had seen that, I don't think I could have stopped laughing. Nepotism? Ya think?