Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Still alive.

And in Florida. I'll be here until Saturday, and getting an internet connection is tricky, so I doubt you'll hear from me again before then.

2008 is going to be the Year of Finishing Stuff, and I've decided to kick the year off by finishing Innsvinget, the blue and black sweater from "Norsk Strikkedesign". I've got two or three inches to go on the second sleeve and after that it's a nightmare of finishing (among other things I have to pull out the first sleeve, unravel the top, and put it back in, to fix the length).

Before we left town, I went back to the Air Force base and took up residence in the waiting room, demanding help. A nurse came out and told me "We don't take walk-ins." and I said "I wouldn't be walking in if the last person I saw did their damn job." (At this comment, heads turned. I realized I was talking a little too loud, wavered for a moment about feeling bad, then figured fuck it.) Long story short, they sent me off base to an urgent care facility that was so outraged at the way I had been treated, they hooked me up with some decent medications and I feel like an actual human being now. (They gave me a shot of Toradol. It is now my favorite drug. Unfortunately, if I take too much of it, my liver will rot out. Isn't that always the way?)

The Goober is having a great time with her grandparents, and there will be many cute photos to show off, as soon as I get home and unload the camera.

Friday we go to Marine Land to see the dolphins. Yay.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear that you're alive, feeling better and someplace warm.

and i sympathize re: meds. i have arthritis. i was on vioxx. i felt great and my heart was in perfect shape.
but somebody somewhere had a bad ticker and took vioxx and died. so did a few others. so instead of saying no more vioxx for people w/bad hearts, the fda said no more vioxx for nobody. go back to hurting. we don't give a damn.

sehkmet's fraternal twin, scruffy, has been spending the holidays wrestling his favorite old mitten and trying to teach the salvaged kitten some proper cat manners. so far, it's not working.

stay warm, have fun and keep tackling the wips!

MagicChupacabra said...

Dang, you're in northern Florida to boot and of course now I'm in south Florida.

I hope its warmer than it is down here. I'm in St. Pete and its freaking 45 outside and dropping right now.

Crazyness.

Enjoy Marineland though. its a pretty awesome lil place. I highly advise the gator farm as well if you can swing by there.

Anonymous said...

you need a friend in the media to make the hospital types shape up...

enjoy florida. it's cold everywhere north of there... including here in the mid-atlantic...

and magicchupacabra? you wouldn't happen to be about 10 pounds, with orange stripes and golden eyes, would you? i didn't think so -- my magicchupa is face down in his bowl of expensive kitty kibble...

happy new year!

Amy Lane said...

And you know, sometimes it's that one shot of something that just TOTALLY relieves us of pain that makes it possible for us to deal with pain when it comes back...that's the problem with 'chronic' pain-the constancy makes you too tired to deal with a pain level that otherwise you might be able to handle. So, basically, that one pain-reliever, every so often, can be your 'pain vacation'--and spiff you up for the rest of what you do!

And, of course, I wish you happiness on your real vacation... may the Goober see lots of interesting fish!

Alwen said...

Uh-oh, if you're finishing Innsvinget, does that mean I have to finish weaving the warp that's on my loom?

Pain-free is good (somebody please tell my back!)

historicstitcher said...

Kind of freaky - I told my mom just the other day that this year would be the Year of Completion of Unfinished Projects!

Great minds think alike?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what is it about all the good drugs rotting the liver? The liver is just too sensitive in my opinion, and needs to get over itself. Glad to hear you're feeling better, at least for the moment... have a great trip!

roxie said...

Hooray for real medical care and good drugs! Military medicine is legendary. You get well in spite of their best efforts.

Now we are looking to you to write the book on liver support to enable you to stick with the drugs that work.

Goober and grandparents and fishies. Ahh, the potential . . . .

debsnm said...

Better living through chemistry has always been my motto! Glad you got "real doctors" who actually listened to you for a change! Damn the military types who know better than everyone else.