Thursday, January 31, 2008

It's dead, Jim.

The half-round shawl is no more. Or rather, it still exists, but it's in a trash bag full of diapers, waiting for a trip down the chute to a dumpster in the parking garage. Last night I was half-assedly knitting on it (while watching Mythbuththerth, of courthe) and discovered a huge mistake in the lace pattern. That, on top of the chewed-up yarn and an error that had been there from the start (due to my reading the chart wrong), was the death knell.

Off the needles, into the trash.

For those of you who'd mentioned you wanted a review of the pattern, it's a good one. I'd put it at intermediate level on skill; it's an every-row lace pattern, meaning there's no purl row to 'reset' the stitches on the needle. But the stitches used are just knit, yarnover, knit two together, and knit three together. And it produces a lace that doesn't quite look knitted, which is cool. I may try to knit this again, some day when I can give it my full attention (you know, like when the Goober goes to college). The failure in this case was with me, not the pattern. The pattern is fine.




Oh. And, um, I kind of bought a spinning wheel last night (an Ashford Kiwi). It should arrive at my house sometime next week. Probably. Brace yourselves.

11 comments:

historicstitcher said...

Cool cool!!

Welcome to the world of spinners!!!

One more soul added to the borg...

:)

Hannah said...

I second the first comment! Welcome to a whole new level of addiction! :-) You're gonna love it!

Amy Lane said...

The chewed up yarn probably was a sign... and I can't wait to see what you spin!

Samantha said...

Oooh, what triggered the wheel? Have fun spinning.

RobynR said...

*slowly turning a pale shade of celery with envy*

Cherie Bills said...

Dude, I know you got that wheel off ebay, cause I was stalking it before I purchased a mother marion kick spindle.

Donna Lee said...

How cool! I think I would like to learn to spin. Now, I can try vicariously through you and decide if I really want to try.

Louiz said...

Wow! Looking forward to seeing that. I can spin with a spindle but never tried a wheel, I will be interested in seeing how different it is.

roxie said...

I would have given the yarn a home. Not after the dirty diaper treament, though. Boy, when you are done with something, you are thourough about it!

"Oops. Somehow I bought a spinning wheel." You make it sound like some sort of unavoidable slip. Good for you!!

Malin said...

Welcome to the Dark Side ;-) Have fun!

Anonymous said...

WOW.

Handled like a true perfectionist.

Sometimes things just aren't meant to be!