Friday, April 07, 2006

Stupid human tricks.

Or, tricks I do when knittng, that you will hopefully find useful, or at least interesting.

Here we have the back of the Tax Sweater.It turns out I'm not writing an article about it after all, so it's not due and I'm knitting it for no apparent reason, but anyway.

See the pink thread slap in the middle of it? That's a piece of waste yarn that I tied around a stitch while I was knitting the first row of the armhole shaping. That means, later (like now) when I knit the front, I don't have to guess where the armhole shaping starts, I can count. (It's 114 rows.) This way the front and back match row-for-row, so I don't have to fudge anything when I'm sewing it up, and when it's finished it doesn't hang funny.

Soooooo. I'm now knitting the front: See the two pink threads tied in? Those are at every 25th row. That way I don't ever have to go back to the absolute beginning and count out 114 rows a half dozen times to get it right; I tie in a thread and after the 100th row, I only have to count to fourteen.

Nitpicking, or lazy? You be the judge.

No comments: