Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What I'm doing.

I've been spinning. Quite a lot. I'm averaging one skein a day (of about 75 yards) for the color-blending experiment. This is what I've got so far. It's halfway between sport and DK weight (uh... five ply ish for you Aussies).

You can probably see, that's a two-ply of orange and orange, then one of orange and peach, and then one of peach and peach. Next up is one of peach and light pink, then double light pink, then light pink and dark pink... There will be eight skeins total (including one of orange and dark pink I fear will be fugly; that is earmarked for the gauge swatch). I'm using roving from Muench Yarns, which apparently they don't even list on their web site. Cute. At any rate, I got four 8oz lots during that fiber spree I went on before Christmas; orange, peach, pink, and dark pink. It's mostly an experiment in spinning, but it'd be nice to wind up with enough yarn for a vest. For two pounds of wool, I'm not getting that much yardage. I think I've totally given up on trying to spin for yardage. I seem to suck at it.

In other news, Sekhmet is still a fucker.

That's my heating pad she's on. I got up to get a drink and she nearly leapt on it. There was quite a fight, getting it back.

10 comments:

ellen in indy said...

my scruffy, who's sekhmet's evil boy-twin, vastly prefers a lap -- mine -- under him and something being knitted as his blanket.

his long-haired white "brother," ghost, prefers snuggling against my thigh and nuzzling my hand until i take a break and rub his ears, jaws and nose, especially if i'm knitting something dark.

cute little fuckers.

Saren Johnson said...

Maybe Sekhmet should lobby to get her own heating pad.

debsnm said...

Take pity on your poor kitty - buy her her own heating pad. She might even smile, a little.

choperena said...

I love the idea of your color experiment, and I might try something similar. I'm always torn when buying yarn that looks really nice in skein/ball form, but once I start knitting it up, all the colors just run together. I wish more people would make multicolor yarns with larger sections of the same color, and slower transitions to the next. So yeah, spinning solids and getting the transitions through plying might solve this. Am I rambling? Yeah, I'm rambling. Must be a day that ends in "y".

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

I look forward to the day when I get to spin like you. You're such an amazing Mentor!

Donna Lee said...

She's knows where the good spots to sit are! Cats may have brains the size of walnuts but they're not stupid.

The color experiment is looking good. I can't spin for yardage. I spin and spin and whatever I get, I get.

Nicole said...

Ooooh, I love love love the orange yarn!

Amy Lane said...

Oh... she looks so happy on that heating pad. And the fiber is LOVELY. I can't wait to see what you're doing with it when it's done!

Anonymous said...

You know, Julie, we're never going to believe that Sekhmet is a fucker if you only show us the photos of the little darling curled up asleep. :-)

Antonia

PS I think the pink and orange could look great. Very Indian. Have you seen Monsoon Wedding?

roxie said...

Well, the simple solution would be to get her a heating pad of her own. Then when she takes yours, you can take hers.

Beautiful spinning!