Saturday, March 29, 2014

Tools.

This IS something I thought of myself, but I can't imagine I'm the only one. However, it was met with "OMFG GENIUS!" over on Twitter, so I'll share it with you.

This is the end of a scarf with the end darned in. I've got it on a brush base thingie, and that bit sticking out is a felting needle. (The brush base keeps you from felting your project to something else. I may have accidentally felted something to a cushion, which may be why I have it.) After some stabbing with the felting needle, I could rely on the end staying where I put it, so I cut the end off.

This solves all the worries about darned in ends pulling loose again. And since it's a felting needle, it MECHANICALLY smashes the fibers together, so it can felt/snarl together ANY fibers, even 30% nylon like above, or even pure silk.

I got these at my LYS, Natural Stitches, but I've seen them at JoAnn Fabric, and I'm sure someone sells them mail order.

Enjoy your darned in ends!

For your amusement, a You Tube video of the manufacture of steel wool. It's needle felted. (The needle felting starts around 4:15.)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This is brilliant. I must do this from now on.

Rachelle said...

Got to try that, looks like a brilliant idea and I have the tools!

roxie said...

A felting needle? Damn, woman, are you inspired or what?

Amy Lane said...

Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

If it works on cotton, you get the fiber equivalent of Nobel Prize. Thanks!
-Mary

Betsy said...

OMG! I've never heard of this before but it's brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Great idea!! Thanks for sharing your genius!

dts said...

Absolutely ingenious! Can't wait to tell my knitting group which does lots of charity knitting & therefore lots of ends from leftover yarn bits & pieces. This is kind of life-changing... I'm thinking about mending! THANK YOU.

Ruby said...

Thinking of you. Hope all is well with you and your family (and your knitting). *hug*

Anne said...

Have been thinking of you, too. Hoping you are doing well and feeling great. Hugs and best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Bless you, madame.
--Sheila

Sarah said...

Brilliant!