Sunday, May 15, 2011

It's like the fuckin' Jetsons.

I thought I'd write another blog post tonight (no swooning!) There's a photo I wanted off my phone, and since I needed to pull the battery any way (to reset it), I figured, hell, I'd pull the chip while I was at it. My phone (a Blackberry Curve SomethingRecent) uses solid state (no moving parts) storage on a secondary chip for all music, pictures, movies, TV shows, and other media. So I pulled the chip out of the phone, PLUGGED IT INTO MY COMPUTER, moved the file I wanted, then put the chip back in my phone. Okay. This is stuff we dreamed of as kids (at least I did, and my friends). I have got more computing power (WAY MORE) in my phone than they did in all the Apollo spacecraft combined. This is messed up. Then I dropped the chip, picked it up, and really started to think about it.
That is eight gigabytes of storage capacity, almost exactly the size of my thumbnail.

I am too old for this shit.

Except I'm dealing with it well enough (except for that droppage issue) so I guess I'm not. IT IS STILL NOT RIGHT.

The husbeast is downstairs watching a movie on his super large screen TV, that is plugged into his giant large screen TV. THE ONE WITH AN iPOD DOCK.

---

Anyway. The blog post. After a fashion.

This is the picture I wanted off my phone.
As with so many really good photos, it was just one of those things. The Goober appeared at the back door with a handful of dandelions, I had the phone in my hand, and there you go. I tried to do it again later with a real camera, and of course the results weren't nearly so good.

The Goober has lately gotten hooked, playing Bejeweled. Last night we had this discussion:

ME: Okay. Time for bed.
GOOBER: But I have to teleport!
ME: Fine, but as soon as you teleport, it's bed time.

Sounds like a geek house, to me.

---

In the Sekhmet You Fucker stories, we have a new one. War has been declared. Remember my new chair?
She thinks it's hers. And the nice, high quality fake suede? (It's fake, but it feels really close to real.) Yeah. Hangs on to fur like a fuckin' MAGNET.
EVIL. EVIL I TELL YOU.

And of course, the person most annoyed by this is the husbeast. (Forgivably. He did go out and buy the chair for me.) So it's this constant war and somehow I'm stuck in the middle.

Yes, I've taken advantage of the catapult effect of the chair's shape. More than once.

---

Remember the blanket I want to knit for the living room? It got this far:
Has anyone seen my motivation? Yes? No? Well, can you find it and send it over here? Pleeeeease?

14 comments:

Adrienne said...

Eight gig's of 'stuff' maybe able to be stored on a chip the size of your thumbnail, but the joy in a child's face, presenting Mom with a bouquet of dandelions is unchanged over the years. And, I may not have thought about that too much as a kid, but I think of the computer disk (Dad worked for IBM) I had in my bedroom as a kid, it was rigid, thick and held data measured in bytes rather than megabytes, gigabytes or heaven forbid terrabytes. I am not young, but I am not THAT old either.

Caryn said...

I had my Jetson moment a couple of years ago while prepping for a training program for my job. After loading up the PDF's for a 1000+ page wordy manual, 50 wordy, illustrated lesson books and power point presentations for each of them, I checked my little 2G flash drive to see how much room I had left. Barely made a dent in the capacity. Wow! I could fly to the moon with this thing.

Donna Lee said...

A few years ago we bought a flash drive with less than a gig of memory and it cost somewhere around 70 dollars. Now, I have one with 8g and it cost me less than 20. Technology.

I love sim cards for being able to just plug them into the computer. Moving info around is so easy (and you're not old if you still get into the technology)

Oh, and the ipod dock is one of our best investments.

roxie said...

I remember slide rules - ok? And Dick Tracey with the wrist-watch tv-phone? Don't get me started. I'm OLD! I remember when data was stored on paper and if you wanted to look up something, you had to turn paper pages.

What will the next twenty years bring us? A communication device consisting of a plastic film that clings to the back of your hand and connects to a chip embedded under the skin of your wrist, powered by your own energy? Wear six or seven for speedy weight loss?

pawdua said...

My Jetsons moment was buying a splitscreen PDA that took memory sticks. I used it with a folding keyboard to take notesat school and it fit in a big pocket. It had more power than the first computer I used and a color screen and played music and video. I felt like I was in a science fiction book. If you really don't want to knit an blanket, send it to me and I'll knit it. I don't do squares or things you have to sew together. But I've knit several twin sized afghans and I'm crazy enough that they are one of my favorit things to knit. Just let me know.

Barbara said...

I'll send you your knitting motivation if you'll send me my writing motivation. I quit smoking 4 YEARS AGO and my writing mojo went with it. Damn and blast. I've tried and tried to lure it back but rarely get anywhere. I can knit but not write. Wanna swap? End of rant, off to the showers.

Alwen said...

My DH just replaced a 2 Terabyte hard drive with two 4 Terabyte flash drives. My brain just boggles over how little these things are.

Liz said...

It is indeed just wrong. My little iPod Nano with its 16GB of memory has more storage than the mind could comfortably accommodate not so long ago. Mind you, the first computer in our house was a Sinclair ZX81. Can't remember how much storage that had - I believe the second one, the Spectrum, had a whopping 256K. OK, that's 30 years ago; but it's *only* 30 years ago...

Ellen said...

I think you should just pile the yarn on yourself and voila, a fine blanket.

Mandy said...

LOVE the pic of the Goob! Those little reminders are the best. I still wear a necklace of glass beads that my son made for me before school one morning when he was in kindergarten (sort of a non sequitur, and sort of not).

I quite like Roxie's idea - I'd wear an implanted chip or two for quick weight loss, for sure! Not looking forward to having the data jack implanted in our skulls, though!

Corlis said...

No one will ever accuse you of being a luddite.

Amy Lane said...

I totally get you. It's like every now and then we take stock of the basic shit we deal with every day and go, "Oh holy crap-- this can NOT be real!" But it is. And that picture of the Goob is wonderful. That's a frame-&-keep, just to remind you on days you want to throttle her. (As all mothers have.)

Anonymous said...

Hehe, CATapult shape to the chair. You've just made my day. Thanks from a fellow CB, swamps42

Also, my two recent Jetson's moments (and that's exactly what I called them too) were about 4 months ago I was walking my dogs, carrying a Cr48 (google OS) laptop and video chatting while walking my dogs. The second was more recent. I was double shopping. I was being rung up in a local quilt shop but they were out of one of the fabrics I needed. I was ordering the last fabric online, from my phone. So I was paying two different fabric stores at the same time! Brick and mortar AND online. I felt like the master shopper.

Louiz said...

I love living in the future. I love my bb. I love that my phone has the facility to be backed up (even if it still freaks me sometimes). Awesomeness abounds.

And the Goob is looking very grown up and how lovely to be giving you flowers:)