Monday, October 04, 2010

Damned weather.

Now that I'm back in the land of seasons (after nearly twenty years away), I remember now. It isn't the cold or the heat that's so bad, it's the in-between. It's been raining since Friday, here. I feel like people have been pounding on my knuckles with a hammer. It's all very exciting. (Not.)

So, nothing much to blog. I've been knitting in a trance. Round and round the sock I go. I'll get photos once there's something to show. Using the Yarn Harlot's generic sock pattern was a good idea - I figured anyone who knits that many socks has to know what they're doing, and I was right.

The Goober and I have about finished the first round of testing together, and it's going well. She knows the stuff, but what I consider the big success is how she asks to do more. I try to do short bits with many breaks so neither one of us gets tired and frustrated, and every time she says "Let's do more school stuff", I breathe a sigh of relief. We've still got a long way to go before I'm sure this is a success, but at least we aren't at each other's throats - which can happen when parents try to teach their kids.

I'm hoping to get in some more blog posts, soon, but at the least, I have a doctor's appointment Thursday and should be functional after that.

There is a sock calling to me.

7 comments:

NeedleTart said...

So sorry about the weather affecting you. Soon it will snow and then everything will be cold but dry. Hope that helps. So glad the Goob is doing well with the school stuff.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like life to me...The pain relief will make everything seem even better. We all had faith that Curly Top would do well and that you would too!

Alwen said...

"There is a sock calling to me."

Yes, they do that. And the next thing you know, you go from having one awesome pair of socks that hugs your feet, to having the sock drawer all crowded with them. Because they're so portable. And there are so many different ways to knit them.

SockBorg.

GAH! Verification is "hog ice"!

Donna Lee said...

I have a ton of admiration for parents who teach their children at home (beyond the usual growing up stuff). It's hard to teach someone you love because your expectations tend to be so high. I think it's a lot of pressure. Having said that, I think I would have loved to homeschool if the situation had presented itself.

roxie said...

You totally rock!

Liz said...

Do you get actual seasons along with the in-between temperatures? It's autumn here, and it used to be my favourite time of year. Before I had to work for a living and the dark-before-work/dark-after-work started getting to me...

Hope the doc is competent and the hand gets better; and sounds like good work on the schooling...

Amy Lane said...

OH, ouchie, Julie--- feel better--and enjoy that sock!